The Varnado Store Museum building has for all its one-hundred years been a general merchandise store. It was built around the time the railroad came to the area in 1906 and was owned by Daniel C Sheridan, a timber dealer, real estate agent, town alderman and bank director. The first proprietor was W.C. Lonnergan and the sign bearing his name is still in the museum. Other owners through the years included Mr. and Mrs. Burris. The D.A. Varnado family purchased the store in 1920 and the family ran it until it closed in the mid-1980's. The museum is on the National Register of Historic Places.